Trans World Radio was founded in 1952 to communicate the Good News of Jesus Christ to the world. Burdened for the people of Spain, TWR founder Dr. Paul E. Freed realized that radio would be the ideal medium to reach those people.
More than 50 years ago, TWR aired its first program from Tangier, Morocco, and in 1960 relocated to Monte Carlo, Monaco. The 100,000-watt shortwave transmitter in Monte Carlo was housed in a re-purposed transmitter station built by Adolf Hitler during World War II to broadcast Nazi propaganda. Never used for its original purpose, TWR utilized the facility to transmit the Good News of Jesus Christ to millions of listeners.
TWR Canada opened its first offices in London, Ontario in March 1973, and long-time missionary Ray Alary now serves as TWR Canada President. September 2011 saw the official opening of the TWR Canada China Ministry office in Markham, Ontario.
The story of TWR continues every day as the ministry offers solid biblical truth in more than 200 languages and dialects, and engages millions in 160 countries.
More photos from TWR history: